Saturday, November 8, 2014

Family

Gaby is 8 months. 
We are parents.
It's so crazy to think about!!

Last night, Art and I had the opportunity to go on a date. We checked out The Mill - fantastic place to sit by the fire and chat together. Supposedly there was an ACU social club event there that night, so we were surrounded by a LOT of younger 20-somethings with shabby chic outfits and too many beards to count. As we were talking, a question came up that really hit us hard: How does it feel to be on the other side of the 20's hill? 

Lately I've been feeling nostalgic for my "single" days. Maybe nostalgia isn't the right word because I also told Art last night how wonderful it is to already have found my best friend and life partner. But, I can't stop thinking about how fun my life was during those years and how I may have taken those years for granted as they passed right by me. Art reminded me of how happy we have been lately, and it is so true: We have a wonderful little baby girl, a companionship with each other, a home, jobs to provide for our family, the BEST Church family we have ever been a part of, and our youth. We still have fun together and are making many GREAT memories for Gaby and ourselves. He was right, I cannot complain! 

But what will the next decade look like for us? 2.5 kids, a home, two cars, a garage, and a nice backyard? Is that what our dreams are for the next 10 years? What about mission trips or moving to another city? What about advancing in our careers or going back to school? What about all the OTHER moments we didn't take advantage of during our younger 20's? Are we okay with where our lives are headed -- the standard "American Dream?" Was I too busy concentrating on the future during my 20's that I missed out on these opportunities?

Hard and tough questions for us to process. And while we head into our 30's over the next couple years -- we will continue to place our trust and prayer in the Lord. During my meditation time - I always seem to hear Him remind me of how little I am in charge of what the next 10 years has in store. That my wandering heart will find a place to be again. It doesn't feel like it will happen soon - but I come away feeling more peaceful about it than when I entered into my time with Him. And while we closed our date night together still undecided about what is to come, we were content with the knowledge that our trust in God will lead us to the right place at the right time. God will take care of our family. Praise Him for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment