Friday, November 21, 2014

Smell the Roses

Headed to New York next week for a little Thanksgiving/December Vargas Vacation!
We've never been to NYC so we are PUMPED about this trip.
I'm worried about Gaby's reaction to the change in environment and Art's worried about having to spend $10 on a single hot dog. lol.... Men are from Mars....


I had a small moment of appreciation this morning. Do you ever feel like there aren't many opportunities to share those tiny priceless experiences? There are times when I am with Gaby or Art or on the way to work - something happens - an unforgettable moment... and it's disheartening when I realize I am the only one who will know how it made me feel.


This morning on my way to work I passed by a group of our refugee students. 4 young girls from the Congo. I see them every morning on the way to school as they walk 1.5 miles from their apartment complex. Right before you cross the street onto the high school campus, there is a small bunch of beautiful flowers to make the marquee sign look a little more beautiful on your drive in. Every morning I see them, and I think, "Look how dedicated they are to getting a good education. I wonder if they had that in the Congo." But this particular morning, I noticed from my rear view mirror that one of the girls stooped down in front of the marquee to admire the beauty in the flower bunches. A moment that happened in less that 2 seconds, brought me to tears. I wish I could appreciate the small things in life more frequently. I rarely thank my husband for always taking out the trash, I can't remember the last time I was grateful for the house I live in and the car I drive, I don't ever appreciate how easily obtainable my groceries are, and I could go on and on and on... It's the life I've made for myself. BUSY, BUSY, BUSY..... RUSH, RUSH, RUSH.


I know I'm too hard on myself at times -- but it was just a small moment that happened this morning that I felt compelled to share it.


Blessings and Happy Thanksgiving. Time to dig in on some YUMMY food and spend time with family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment